[squid-users] Why HTTP/1.0 and not HTTP/1.1?

From: W. Tait Cyrus <tait.cyrus@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 19:06:21 -0600

I found bug #412 which states that squid is not HTTP/1.1 compliant.

My question is, when squid is in transparent mode, shouldn't all HTTP
requests just get forwarded as is (same HTTP version), or is squid
supposed to muck with some of the HTTP headers even in transparent mode
and since it doesn't that is why squid isn't 1.0 compliant? If this is
the case, I'm curious what headers should be mucked with to make squid
1.1 compliant in transparent mode?

The cause of my question is I have a backup application (EMC Retrospect
7.5) which has auto software update support. Its request out to the
Internet is HTTP/1.1 and it, naturally, is expecting a reply of
HTTP/1.1. Yet squid changes the outgoing version of the request to 1.0,
the reply comes back as 1.1, and then squid changes the reply to 1.0
before sending it back to the application (which then barfs on the reply).

Bug #412 is fairly old (last updated March/April of this year). Is this
something that is planned to be fixed in the future? It appears that
3.0PRE4 still is only 1.0 compliant.

Thanks
    ++Tait