Re: [squid-users] Why HTTP/1.0 and not HTTP/1.1?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 18:35:03 +0200

lör 2006-09-16 klockan 19:06 -0600 skrev W. Tait Cyrus:
> I found bug #412 which states that squid is not HTTP/1.1 compliant.

Yes..

> My question is, when squid is in transparent mode, shouldn't all HTTP
> requests just get forwarded as is (same HTTP version), or is squid
> supposed to muck with some of the HTTP headers even in transparent mode
> and since it doesn't that is why squid isn't 1.0 compliant?

Squid isn't transparent, and never intended to be transparent. It can
intercept outgoing connections yes, but this doesn't make it transparent
(just called transparent interception for some odd historical reasons).

> If this is
> the case, I'm curious what headers should be mucked with to make squid
> 1.1 compliant in transparent mode?

The primary requirement is to implement support for chunked transfer
encoding. Then there is some other small header related stupid things,
but nothing major.

> The cause of my question is I have a backup application (EMC Retrospect
> 7.5) which has auto software update support. Its request out to the
> Internet is HTTP/1.1 and it, naturally, is expecting a reply of
> HTTP/1.1. Yet squid changes the outgoing version of the request to 1.0,
> the reply comes back as 1.1, and then squid changes the reply to 1.0
> before sending it back to the application

Yes, as it should until it's a HTTP/1.1 proxy. When Squid becomes
HTTP/1.1 the situation becomes reversed all requests and responses sent
by Squid will be HTTP/1.1 even if the incoming request or response was
HTTP/1.0.

> (which then barfs on the reply).

Somewhat broken app then..

> Bug #412 is fairly old (last updated March/April of this year). Is this
> something that is planned to be fixed in the future? It appears that
> 3.0PRE4 still is only 1.0 compliant.

It's not consider a high priority item. Very little require HTTP/1.1.