Re: [squid-users] parent proxy

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 23:59:58 +0200

tis 2006-09-19 klockan 00:43 +0300 skrev Nerijus Baliunas:

> It works if I use the following setup:
>
> acl viaproxy2 dstdomain .itu.int
> cache_peer 10.10.10.6 parent 3128 3130
> cache_peer_access 10.10.10.6 allow viaproxy2
> never_direct allow viaproxy2
>
> Why cache_peer_domain does not always work? Should I have used
> some never_direct option?

both cache_peer_domain and cache_peer_access only limits which requests
may be sent via the peer in question, it says nothing about the other
peers if you have other cache_peer lines. The only functional difference
between the two directives is the syntax. You can do everything with
cache_peer_access alone.

Also, using peers is just advisory, not forced. If squid thinks there is
no use in terms of hit ratio to use the peer then it won't look at them.
To force Squid to look for a peer you can use never_direct. Requests
matching never_direct tells Squid it MUST use a peer and not attempt to
go direct under any conditions.

Then there is also the prefer_direct on/off, and nonhierarchical_direct
options to tune this more softly..