[squid-users] Re: Squid 2.6 + COSS comparison

From: Joost de Heer <sanguis@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 20:10:59 +0200 (CEST)

Adrian Chadd wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> The COSS code in Squid-2.6 has come quite far from its original design by
> Eric Stern. Steven Wilton has put an enormous amount of effort into the
> COSS design to fix the remaining bugs and dramatically improve its
> performance.
>
> I've assembled a quick webpage showing the drop in CPU usage and the
> negligible effect on hit-rate. Steven Wilton provided the statistics
> from two Squid caches he administers.
>
> You can find it here - http://www.squid-cache.org/~adrian/coss/.
> Steven is running a recent snapshot of squid-2.6. The latest -STABLE
> release of Squid-2.6 doesn't incorporate all of the COSS bugfixes
> (and there's at least one really nasty bug!) so if you're interested
> in trying COSS out please grab the latest Squid-2.6 snapshot from
> the website.

The example proxy given has a request rate of about 100 req/s max, if I
understand the graphs correctly. How does COSS hold when the request rate
is significantly higher? I run a proxy that currently seems to peak around
420 req/s (and has an average rate of about 300 req/s during office
hours), and am currently using aufs. Mbps peakrate is about 25/30 Mbps.
Anything that can improve the proxy performance even more is wanted, since
I have the feeling that currently the proxy is hitting its upper limits.

Joost