Re: [squid-users] Force squid to timeout and internet explorer hanging

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 23:17:40 +0200

tis 2006-09-19 klockan 10:20 -0600 skrev Irwan Hadi:

> The main problem is we just implement a intrusion firewall at our
> border router that blocks advertisement websites. So, when Squid can't
> open this advertisement link, and thus caused the client (IE) to hang.

Hmm... you should reconfigure your firewall to shut down such
"offending" connections with TCP RST, not silently drop them.

> Is it possible to set some kind of timeout, so that a URL that fails
> to open should be returned as fail with squid within a couple seconds?

It's automatic providing your firewall reacts properly.

Detecting blackholed connections is harder as it's the exact same as a
server taking a long time to respond. You should not need to do this,
but if you absolutely want to look into the read_timeout.

Depending on how these sites is blocked you may also have success
looking into connect_timeout.