[squid-users] Re: problem of "Unable to forward this request at this time" on Squid2.6STABLE3

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 21:24:41 +0200

fre 2006-09-22 klockan 00:23 +0800 skrev Fala wang:

> I use squid for CDN to accelerator various hosts on various servers.

Ok. Accelerator mode then. Don't use transparent.

> So I think I should choose vhost, but there are many different
> original sites(too many sites here), what should I set "defaultsite"?

Whatever you want old HTTP/1.0 clients not sending Host headers to
receive. If not set they will just get an "Invalid request" response..

> if without defaultsite, I have to set "always_direct allow all"

The two is unrelated.

Hmm.. not entirely sure how to best configure the accelerator mode to
suit an CDN type setup with a large and dynamic number of backend
servers. It's primarily designed for more restrictive environments with
a limited number of backend servers, relying on a cache_peer definition
per backend server. You can override this with always_direct, but then
peering isn't possible.

The reason to this is security, to ensure the accelerator isn't
accidently configured as an open proxy.

You can take away this restricion by commenting out/removing the
accelerated test in peer_select.c. Peering in accelerator mode will then
be equal to how things works in proxy mode which maybe is more suitable
for your setup, assuming you use a private DNS structure with real web
server addresses for the distributed sites.