Re: [squid-users] MIME / content filtering

From: Christoph Haas <email@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 14:21:16 +0200

On Thursday 12 October 2006 11:24, B K wrote:
> I have a general question about mime.
>
> Can this be used as a application layer firewall. For example to block
> traffic based on layer 4 information. For example Peer to Peer file
> sharing programs or live streaming. If not what are my options, can I
> get add in programs.

The usual answer: Squid is a HTTP proxy. Not a layer-4-firewall.

The "classical" approach is to use a firewall to block all outgoing traffic
and only allow connections to the internet that go through a proxy. That's
what some "application layer firewalls" do, too. Every protocol needs a
certain proxy to work. Since Squid is not a peer2peer proxy that protocol
won't work unless it speaks HTTP.

Squid is not extensible to do anything else but HTTP proxying.

 Christoph