Re: [squid-users] Arrrrrrrgh! Yahoo mail, Gmail, Hotmail, MSN troubles on Squid2.6STABLE4 transparent

From: Tom Warren <funkknob@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 11:34:35 +0700

Gonzalo,

This issue has been RESOLVED.

You were correct, the problem was indeed related to WCCP. Our 7206
router has only 256MB memory and when we added a second BGP peer some
time ago, we were able to receive the full routing table and still had
some memory left over. The cache was working fine for some time after
that, so I did not suspect the router to be the cause of the problem.

However when we attempted to upgrade the IOS to a newer version in
hopes of resolving the cache issue, the router could not load the full
routing table from both peers and ended up in an out-of-memory 'loop'
behaviour.

When we downgraded to the previous IOS version, to my dismay the same
out-of-memory problem occurred! We had to block the receiving of
routes from one peer in order to have any connectivity at all.

I believe what happened was that somehow there was just enough memory
to load the BGP routing table when we originally brought up the second
peer. Over time as memory was used it became fragmented or suffered
from a memory leak and caused issues with our cache. Then when we
rebooted with the same IOS version, it couldn't pull off the same
trick (loading the routing table from both peers) a second time.

Now we are buying an NPE400 so that we can go to 512MB memory and be
able to run a newer, more featureful IOS image and still have memory
to spare. I hope that others will find this post and not have to go
through the week of hell I went through! Thanks so much for all your
help.

Regards,

Tom