[squid-users] Optimizing Squid for Bandwidth Savings

From: Tom Warren <funkknob@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 11:55:05 +0700

I've seen many posts and articles on optimizing Squid for saving
bandwidth, but haven't really seen any clear and up-to-date examples
on this topic.

Our ISP is in a small developing country and connectivity to the
outside world is incredibly expensive since most of the transport is
over VSAT. Therefore we'd like to save as much as we can with the
cache, even at the expense of breaking some standards and/or sites as
long as it doesn't cause too many problems for our subscribers.

If anyone could be so kind, can I get some configuration examples?
Perhaps one showing 'absolute maximum savings' and another with
'moderate savings' (e.g. a tradeoff with fewer potential issues with
freshness or breaking sites). Not the complete config, just the bits
that matter. We are using 2.6.4.

Regards,

Tom