RE: [squid-users] HTTP protocol violation error using .NET 2.0 web services through Squid-2.5 proxy

From: Marcus Ogden <M.Ogden@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 22:05:47 +1000

>> Hello,
>>
>> A client of ours using the Squid proxy server (version
>> 2.5.STABLE6-3.4E.12.1) on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 is experiencing
>> problem when running our .NET 2.0 client application, which
communicates
>> with a .NET 2.0 web service on our server.
>>
>> When our client application sends an HTTP 1.1 request through the
Squid
>> proxy to our server, it receives the error:
>>
>> "The server committed a protocol violation.
Section=ResponseStatusLine"

>> Other clients not using Squid are not experiencing this problem.
>>
>> Researching this, we've found a few posts that report similar
problems
>> using .NET 2.0 web services and/or the HTTP 1.1 protocol through
Squid,
>> e.g.
>>
>> http://forums.asp.net/thread/1194960.aspx

http://groups.google.to/group/microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.remoting
/msg/dae1a8e9eed3dcf3?dmode=source
>> http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-users/200606/0534.html
>>
>> We've also tried the suggestion in
>> http://forums.asp.net/thread/1284850.aspx to set the
>> useUnsafeHeaderParsing property in the client .NET application's
config
>> file to "true", but our client reports this hasn't solved the
problem.

>> Any suggestions on how we can resolve this issue would be much
>> appreciated.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Marcus Ogden
>> Software Development
>> QSR International
>> www.qsrinternational.com
>>

> SQUID doesn't support HTTP 1.1
>
> M.

Thanks, but from
http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-users/200606/0534.html it
sounds like there's more to it than that. It sounds like Squid handballs
HTTP 1.1 requests on as HTTP 1.0. Is this correct? If so what should our
client and/or server applications do to handle this behaviour?

Marcus