Re: [squid-users] POST cacheability

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 17:19:14 -0700

Well, the relevant part is:

Section 9.5
> includes appropriate Cache-Control or Expires header fields.
> However, the 303 (See Other) response can be used to direct the
> user agent to retrieve a cacheable resource.
Further down (e.g., in 13.6), there is only reference to using the
URI and the selecting request-headers as input into the cache key,
never the method.

Effectively, the POST response is, by default, a status message, but
if it's allowed to be cached, it becomes a representation of that
resource, and available to GET.

This area isn't documented very well, no matter which way you
interpret it. It should be cleaned up.

Overall, caching POST responses would be nice. If I were
prioritising, however, I'd be much more excited about getting Squid
conformant to section 13.10 (invalidations from side effects).

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham
mnot@yahoo-inc.com