Re: [squid-users] Traffic shaping

From: Christoph Haas <email@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 16:10:20 +0200

Hi, Salvatore...

On Monday 23 October 2006 11:28, Salvatore Baglieri wrote:
> I write you just to ask about "traffic shaping".
>
> That is to say, at the moment I use squid's delay pools to limit
> download speed for files bigger than X kbytes.
>
> But i would prefer to give priority to each port in squid, for example:

Each port in Squid? Squid is a HTTP proxy.

> if there's HTTPS (port 443) traffic, it has priority;
> else if there's SMTP traffic.. (25);
> else if there's FTP traffic (21);
> else if there's HTTP traffic (80);

Squid doesn't deal with SMTP or FTP traffic. And HTTP, HTTPS and
FTP-over-HTTP all go through one single TCP port (by default 3128).

> and.. above all...
> if there's no traffic.. then let p2p-program download
>
> anyway, it will be good also to give fixed static speed to each port,
> for example:
>
> ensure https trasferts 40kb/s
> ensure smtp 5kb/s...

If you want to use traffic shaping for certain TCP ports (which has nothing
to do with Squid) then use the capabilities of your operating system.
Under Linux you could go with "tcng".

> PS: I use WebMin.

Don't. It doesn't make things easier. You still need to understand the
application that you control.

Cheers
 Christoph