Re: [squid-users] Redirector irritation

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 14:56:44 -0800

Jim Christy wrote:
> On 10/24/06, Mark Elsen <mark.elsen@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > And it doesn't get cached? Sorry if i'm missing something.
>> >

>> Whether it's get cached is unrelated to the redirector story; it depends
>> on the freshness parameters of the particular object being fetched
>> by squid from the remote webserver :
>>
>> http://www.ircache.net/cgi-bin/cacheability.py
>
> I see what you're indicating now. So if the ultimate redirect "should
> be cacheable" (according to caching law!) then it will be cached by
> Squid?
>
> So why am i not seeing that behaviour with the redirector?
>

>> M.

The default squid.conf file contains the following lines:

acl QUERY urlpath_regex cgi-bin \?
no_cache deny QUERY

Which states that URL path containing either the string "cgi-bin" or a
question mark (?) will not be cached. Usually that's a safe bet, as
both contain dynamic content that is not guaranteed to have freshness
information included. Either comment out the default no_cache line or
add lines like...

acl mysite dstdomain .server.com
acl QUERY urlpath_regex cgi-bin \?
no_cache allow mysite
no_cache deny QUERY

...to specify that all requests in the domain server.com should be
eligible for caching. I'm not certain the second option will work, but
it's worth a try...

Chris