Re: [squid-users] Problem with TCP_MEM_HITs

From: K Kadow <kkadow@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 20:07:59 -0600

On 11/1/06, Santiago del Castillo <santiago.del.castillo@cloncom.com> wrote:
> Hi, i'm having problems with MEM_HITs, the mem_cache is 2GB, the
> maximum_object_size is 4096 KB and i'm having just 10.7 % MEM_HIT ratio.

What is your maximum_object_size_in_memory?
The default is very low.

I've been told here that, depending on your host OS and how much RAM
you have, you can actually increase hit ratios and performance by
setting both cache_mem and maximum_object_size_in_memory very low, and
relying on the operating system to intelligently use memory to cache
disk blocks and serve disk hit answers out of the OS cache.

This assumes the server is dedicated to Squid and that the OS is
smarter about caching frequently used objects in memory than Squid is.

Kevin