[squid-users] Squid-3.0.PRE5 released

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 11:21:29 +0800

The Squid Web Proxy developers are pleased to announce the availability
of the Squid-3.0.PRE5 pre-release. This is a another release along the
Roadmap which corrects a very large number of problems in earlier
Squid-3 releases.

This release is targetted at technology adopters and beta-testers rather than
production deployments. There's a number of interesting technology
developments in the Squid-3 branch which we believe will be beneficial
in the long-term.

The Squid-3 development roadmap is currently focused on fixing the remaining
bugs with the aim of a stable release as soon as possible.

This new release can be downloaded from our HTTP or FTP servers

        http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v3/3.0/
        ftp://ftp.squid-cache.org/pub/squid-2/DEVEL/

or the mirrors. For a list of mirror sites see

        http://www.squid-cache.org/Mirrors/http-mirrors.html
        http://www.squid-cache.org/Mirrors/ftp-mirrors.html

The most important bug fixes in the Squid-3.0.PRE5 release are:

    - A large amount of work has been put into fixing the performance
      of Squid-3 to bring it in-line with Squid-2.6
    - Several memory leaks and out-of-bounds memory accesses have been
      repaired
    - The ICAP support has been improved considerably
    - Various problems with the forwarding logic have been identified
      and repaired; the others will be repaired soon
    - Now implements proper TCP fallback on truncated DNS response
      solving interoperability issues with some DNS servers

The full list of changes in the Squid-3.0 development branch can be
viewed here:

    <url:http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v3/3.0/changesets/>.

Thanks goes all users who have sent in valuable bug reports and
feedback. We would not be where we are today without your help.

The Squid project is looking for sponsors of the ongoing Squid
maintenance or development efforts. Please contact info@squid-cache.org
or visit http://www.squid-cache.org/donate.html for more information.

Regards
The Squid Web Proxy developers