Re: [squid-users] Reverse Proxy - cache_peer vs. direct

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 00:34:53 +0100

fre 2006-11-10 klockan 16:34 +0200 skrev Paolo Biancolli:

> I have squid 2.6 stable4 in acceleration mode and have managed to get
> acceleration working with both cache_peer and always_direct. Are both
> methods equally secure or is one preferable to the other?

cache_peer is preferable. It gurarantees requests only gets forwarded to
well known servers, and additionally allows expansion into using the
redundancy and health check functions if you find that you need more
than one backend server for some site.

> web servers operating on multiple ports (and am having issues
> configuring cache_peer for 1 parent "cache" on multiple ports).

See the name option to cache_peer. Allows you to define any number of
peers with the same hostname/ip (and even port) but different logical
names within Squid configuration..