Re: [squid-users] Tproxy -Just How useful is it?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 00:37:46 +0100

lör 2006-11-11 klockan 00:11 +0800 skrev Ow Mun Heng:
> Perhaps I just don't get it. I just upgraded to 2.6.3 and then all of a
> sudden, I read baout this TPROXY feature.
> It enables client and server ip spoofing and it basically bypasses the
> cache (so as to make it really really transparent etc).

It doesn't bypass cache. It just allows Squid to masquerade using the
original clients IP on outgoing requests.

> So.. if I understand it correctly, the aim of tproxy is to fix all the
> shortcomings with that of a "normal" squid 2.5 version of transparent
> caching which will wreck havoc in some circumstances right??

No. Only to make the proxy less visible.

You will still have the same TCP/IP protocol issues if not more.

The only problem it might solve is access those sites not happy when a
user changes IP when going from http to https.