[squid-users] Re: squid performance on 32bit Vs 64 bit

From: Jan-Frode Myklebust <mykleb@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 23:56:21 +0100

On 2006-11-14, zulkarnain <sizulku@yahoo.com> wrote:

> This machine will be use as squid proxy server. I plan
> on installing Fedora Core 6 as operating system. I
> would like to have some sugestion on which OS version
> (32 or 64 bit) squid should be installed concerning
> the performance and stability.

To use the memory (efficiently), you'll want 64 bit OS.
Then you'll have to choose 32 or 64-bit squid, and from
reading this list I think I'd play it safe and build it
as 32-bit. (You being a fc6 user might have other
priorities :-)

Even if the squid-process itself then can't use more
than 2 GB, you'll still have a huge page buffer from
the OS to help it.

  -jf