Re: [squid-users] squid+wccp hash alotment

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 20:51:54 +0800

On Wed, Nov 22, 2006, Manoj Rajkarnikar wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I have a question regarding squid and WCCP. I've noticed an issue with the
> wccp hash bit alotment to individual cache in a farm for quite some time
> and have searched alot with no luck. The problem is that in a farm of
> squid cache (lets say 3 cache servers) connected to a WCCP router, if a
> server gets disconnected for 10-15 minutes or more and then gets
> reconnected, the hash bits alotted to that cache is changed. this means
> that the urls previously served by this server would now go to another
> cache and thus would take some time to rebuild the cache data.

Yup, thats one of the things that needs to be fixed in the Squid WCCPv2 support.

> I've searched through alot and have come to understand that its the squid
> that informs the wccp router which bits are to be assigned to which squid
> server. Is there a way to change the default behaviour of assigning the
> hash bits to assign them in order of ip address manybe ??

You could modify the code to change the hash algorithm; or look into
better 'routing' to bump requests over to the cache that would've handled
it in the past.

I haven't looked into it that much but its on my list of things that need
fixing with the Squid WCCPv2 support.

Adrian