Re: [squid-users] Performance of Squid ?

From: Jakob Curdes <jc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 22:29:49 +0100

Noc Phibee schrieb:

> Hi
>
> anyone can say me what is the best choice in equipment for put a Squid
> with Active Directory authentification + squidguard for:
>
> for 700 simultaneous user

Use 1 mainstream pc . whatever. put one gig of ram and you're done.

> and
> for 5000 simultaneous user

use 1 high end machine with a lot of ram, say 4 GB, and a fast disk
array for the cache.

> How many server you thinks that i put for best performance ?

1. (and maybe one backup machine)
if you do not have a very fast uplink the machine won't be the bottleneck.

> he have a howto for squid in large configuration ?

There are some hints in the mail archives, but the numbers you are
naming are not "large".

> we can add a Antivirus scan of the flow ?

Yes. Have a look at the related software section of the squid homepage.
There are several approaches to virus scanning depending on what you
want to scan with which virus scanner.

JC