Re: [squid-users] squid with FreeBSD 6.0 tuning

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 15:38:07 +0800

On Mon, Nov 27, 2006, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> >Ah.. yes.. the third cache which show only 3% CPU usage has squid v2.6.
> >Is this drop in cpu usage due to changes in v2.6?? I'll definitely want to
> >upgrade to 2.6 now. and one more, what is epoll about ?? configure help
> >only says "enable epoll() instead of poll() or select(), epoll() is best
> >where avialable". what does that mean ??
>
> is 2.6 stable now?

2.6 has been stable for quite some time.

> i tried some time ago and it wasn't.
>
> will spools have to be wiped or it can reuse existing swap.state

Spool won't have to be wiped. You might need to wipe swap.state and let it rebuild
the indexes the long way but I doubt it; I haven't done any 2.5 to 2.6 migrations
myself.

Compile with --enable-kqueue. FreeBSD-6 has a sane threading model which
will let you use aufs instead of diskd which will give you much better
stability (diskd is known to be unstable under heavy load) but you'll want
to run with the latest FreeBSD-6 codebase (just use -stable) and check
the GNATS database for the recent bug Anders Nordby found w/ kqueue and
AUFS threads.

Adrian

--
- Xenion - http://www.xenion.com.au/ - Hosting and Commercial Squid Support -