Re: [squid-users] Digest Authentication (HELP)

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 01:43:45 +0100

mån 2006-12-04 klockan 03:57 +0000 skrev Rocco De Angelis:

> I'm planning to use Digest Authentication. It's not however still clear to
> me yet how to forward the credential information.

???

> A redirector redirects the
> user to a local web page. This page should provide an interface for
> authentication right?

Nope.. Digest authentication is integral in the HTTP protocol. Just
configure the proxy to require authentication, and the browser
automatically pops up a login dialog.

Forms based login is completely different, and does not apply that well
to proxies..

> message get sent with the username. I don't exactly understand where the
> digest on the client machine gets calculated. Is it the HTTP protocol that
> does it?

It's the browser, when Digest authentication is selected in HTTP.