[squid-users] Digest Authentication (HELP)

From: Rocco De Angelis <rocco.deangelis@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 03:57:31 -0000

Hi

I'm planning to use Digest Authentication. It's not however still clear to
me yet how to forward the credential information. A redirector redirects the
user to a local web page. This page should provide an interface for
authentication right? Once the user enters the username and password on the
html form how do I forward the credential? Do I just use get or post method
in the html form? I read from squid the definite guide that when using
digest the password doesn't get sent in the http request but rather a digest
message get sent with the username. I don't exactly understand where the
digest on the client machine gets calculated. Is it the HTTP protocol that
does it?

Sorry for bugging you with these questions that might be quite stupid but
I'm trying to figure these things out.

Any help or suggestion on where to look for information on how to implement
digest is very appreciated.

I'm looking at HTTP: the Definite guide, Squid: the definite guide but I
didn't fully get how to implement it.

Thank you very much for your help.

Rocco