Re: [squid-users] FTP Proxy ?

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 22:06:27 +0800

On Wed, Dec 13, 2006, Dave Raven wrote:
> Hi,
> Is squid able to properly proxy ftp - e.g. support uploads and
> authentication through a web browser (like IE), or just downloads? I did do
> some googling but most of my findings were older

Squid acts as a gateway between FTP and HTTP - it'll speak HTTP to the client
and speak FTP to the server. When you set a "HTTP Proxy" for "FTP" in a Web
Browser then the web browser speaks HTTP to Squid and expects Squid to speak
FTP to the specified server.

Squid doesn't (yet!) provide FTP server functionality. That'd be a fun one
for someone to implement if they wanted a little project to get to know Squid.

Adrian