[squid-users] WCCP and IPv6 support

From: Miguel A. Diaz <miguelangel.diaz@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 21:33:44 +0100

Hello,

I've a question related to WCCP and IPv6 that would like to be answered by a
transparent-web-cache expert.

Let's imagine a web-cache cluster, all the nodes dual stack (IPv4+IPv6) and
all of them supporting WCCP (also IPv4+IPv6) for transparent web-cache, so
they can cache either IPv6 or IPv4 web pages.

Let's imagine one router that is also dual-stack and having WCCP support,
but only for IPv4. I assume that the router and the web-cache nodes are able
to communicate to each other through either IPv6 and/or IPv4 for any
protocol different than WCCP. For WCCP only communication through IPv4 is
feasible (IPv4 only support for WCC in the router).

My question is how about the port-80 IPv6 traffic (http queries indeed)
forwarded to the router from the user's hosts? Would such a traffic be
forwarded to the external IPv6 HTTP public server (like no-http traffic)?
Would such a traffic be forwarded to the web-cache farm (like IPv4-http
traffic does) in spite of WCCP supports only IPv4?

In other words, the IPv4-only-WCCP capable router (but dual-stack) inspects
only the IPv4 packets looking for the TCP-80 port or it does it also for
IPv6 packets?

Regards
Miguel

The IPv6 Portal: http://www.ipv6tf.org