Re: [squid-users] Slow https connection

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 13:19:23 -0900

Matthew Williams wrote:
> I have found that Squid slows down access to a particular web site (https://immpact2.maine.gov), especially when I am using Firefox 2.0 from a Windows XP computer.
> I am currently running 2.5 on Debian Woody but I tried installing Debian Etch on a spare computer and pulled down the apt packaged Squid versions of 2.6 and 3 and found that they also slow down access to this site.
> My untrained eyes don't see anything funny in the logs when accessing this site.
> Does anyone know of any configuration issues that would affect the speed of only certain https sites? On my production box running Squid 2.5 I have things like squidguard and ntlm auth running but when I was testing Etch with 2.6 and 3 I took the standard config file and simply added an acl to let me connect.
> Could some kind soul with access to Squid proxy and a direct connection test loading the above mentioned website both ways and let me know if you have the same experience that I have? (Just load the main page and see how quickly the graphics download.)
> Thanks!
> Matthew

For HTTPS, Squid just opens a conduit and shuffles data. It's not going
to speed the process any, but it shouldn't have much of a slowing effect
either on a lightly loaded link.

As for your situation, testing on my end shows that "immpact2.maine.gov"
resolves to both 198.182.162.133 and 198.182.162.134, but only
198.182.162.133 is responding at this time.

That could certainly have an impact on performance.

Chris