[squid-users] squid redundent with two ISP

From: Khandakar Amir Faisal <tuhinblack@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 03:12:42 -0800 (PST)

Hello everyone, I am using two squid server with two
different internet ISP.
One squid server-1 with ISP-A always use by my users
to browse the INTERNET.
Another server-2 is serving as a mail server and also
squid but squid service is always down. Squid service
will start on this server only if my ISP link on
server-1 is down. I have to start this squid manually.
Also need to change the proxy IP to all users end
manually.
i try to configure another squid proxy server to
redundant squid proxy, like
Is it possible to redundant two squid? Not load
balance, just redundant if no internet link to any
either server.

I also try with following configuration, using three
squid proxy:

Proxy server (users only use this server as a proxy
server) -

cache_peer proxyserver1 parent 3128 3130 weight=90
cache_peer proxyserver2 parent 3128 3130 weight=10
no-query
never_direct allow all

proxyserver1 –
(Default configuration)

Proxyserver2 –
(Default configuration)

Working fine but not serving my purpose. When ISP link
is down on my proxyserver1, users cannot browse. I
also change ‘cache_peer proxyserver2 parent 3128
3130 weight=10 no-query’ to ‘cache_peer proxyserver2
parent 3128 3130 weight=10’ remove the word no-query,
but then both server get busy for internet browsing, I
don’t want my server-2 (mail server) to get busy every
time and slow down the mail send and receive.

So anyone have any idea.

Thank you.