[squid-users] squid and http keepalive

From: L.Suresh <suresh@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 21:32:56 +0530

Hi,

I have a problem with http keepalive and squid.

I have a configuration like this

http client (any browser) → squid → reverseproxy → downstream server

squid is used in http accelerator mode and listens on port 80. if the request is in cache it delivers or else it forwards the request to the reverse proxy (its our component) which in turn delivers it to downstream server

i would like to know a couple of things.

- is it possible for squid to write the source ip/port of a http request into the request header when it forwards to reverse proxy? I need this information to make some network optimizations in reverse proxy

- squid reuses the connection with reverse proxy for a different browser request. to be more clear, lets say browser B1 issued a http request with keep-alive, squid forwards to reverse proxy (lets call the link between squid and reverse proxy as link 1) and then it goes downstream. Now if another browser B2 issues a request for the same domain, squid reuses the link1 for this request. The problem is we don’t parse http request boundaries in our reverseproxy module for perf reasons and I would like link1 to be maintained only for browser B1 and squid to open a new link to reverse proxy for B2. is this possible?