Re: [squid-users] Re: Caching content on private servers

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2007 13:11:45 -0900

WebHead wrote:
> I'm following the directions here:
> http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/ReverseProxy?action=print
> for setting up a reverse proxy, however they don't seem to be working.
>
> I'm running 2.5.STABLE14 on Fedora Core 5.
>
> The very first instruction says to add:
> http_port 80 defaultsite=your.main.website
>
> when I configure my settings & run squid -z, I get:
> FATAL: Bungled squid.conf line 53: http_port 81 defaultsite=10.10.10.107
>
> If I change that to read only:
> http_port 81
>
> it accepts it.
>
> However, the second instruction on that page:
> cache_peer ip.of.webserver 80 0 no-query originserver
>
> also fails with:
> FATAL: Bungled squid.conf line 176: cache_peer 10.10.10.107 80 0
> no-query originserver
>
> so what gives?? This is the default install of squid from fedora. Am
> I missing something or what?
>
> Thank you.
> Mike

Ah. The instructions in the FAQ have been updated to reflect the
settings for the 2.6Stable release series (looks like 2.6 is included in
FC6). An update is recommended, especially for reverse proxy setups.
The 2.5Stable releases are capable of reverse proxy setups, but the
configuration thereof where not as straight forward.

If you don't wish to upgrade, instructions can be found on the old FAQ
(which seems to only be available via the Internet Archive Wayback
Machine
http://web.archive.org/web/20060518092717/www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-20.html)
or in the mailing list archives.

Chris