Re: [squid-users] Domains without "www." - Probably silly question ....

From: Jakob Curdes <jc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 17:07:45 +0100

>I am told that one way to restore the automated logics done by the
>browser in finding the correct host name even when using a proxy is to
>use a proxy.pac file which depends on the IP of the destination site.
>You could try this, haven't verified myself.
>
>Not 100% sure how to do it but I suppose it's possible to detect the
>lookup failure somehow and then return DIRECT from the pac..

I could not find anything specific to this. Would it not be possible to
use a small URL rewriter that rewrites one-dot URL to its "www." form ?
Sure this is a bad hack as it would not solve xyz.bogus.com or cope with
differente content in xyz.com and www.xyz.com but as far as I understand
Netscape's old doc on PAC syntax you can select different proxies or go
direct based on the URL but there is no way to tell the Browser to
rewrite the URL itself - and going direct ist not an option; the whole
point of the proxy business was to shut down direct internet access for
the clients....

JC