Re: [squid-users] Re: Web-based configurator???

From: squidie <squidie@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 16:25:59 +0200

Paul Johnson wrote:
> squidie wrote:
>
>> Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

>>> There probably isn't very much else worth mentioning.

>>> Think yes, spent time on implementing no.
>>>
>>> Whats wrong with using webmin with only the Squid module enabled?
>> I like all-in-one soft - I don't like installing ten applications (and
>> probably getting some troubles with them) when I can install one
>> self-sufficient. So you say nobody was trying to implement it?
>
> The problem with that is it tends to make things work *worse* and much more
> difficult to debug than if you used 10 or 12 smaller programs that do one
> thing and one thing well, stringing them together with pipes and whatnot to
> achieve your goal than the opposite approach of one program that does 10 or
> 12 things really poorly.
>

> .

I know about *nix strategy "few small programs do work better than one
big program a 'swiss knife'" (smth like that). But as I see nobody tried
to compare squid + webmin and squid with included web-based
configurator. I think it's possible to make squid better (with the
configurator) and not to make it less stable.