[squid-users] [SOLVED] Strange issue with a 301 redirect and reverse proxying...

From: David Fix <32rkv4l02@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 12:42:18 -0500

Hey guys,

I'm a new squid user, and have set up squid as a reverse proxy. I've
searched on google, in the wiki, and in the mailing lists for an answer to
this problem, but haven't found anything... It took me a bit to figure out
what was going on. At first I thought it was squid doing it, but then after
some heavy-duty research, I found out that it was apache

I'm running squid and apache on a single server, running squid on port 80,
and apache on port 81.

The problem I *was* experiencing is this: When the URL
http://mydomain.com/admin is requested, the apache server sends back a 301
redirect to http://mydomain.com/admin/ (it adds a trailing slash).

However, when this happens, apache ended up changing the redirect so that it
looks like this:
http://mydomain.com:81/admin/

So, in case anyone is having this problem, I solved this by doing the
following:

In httpd.conf, I have the following:

---
Port 80
Listen 81
UseCanonicalName On
---
That makes apache LISTEN on port 81, but "pretends" it's on port 80 for when
it rewrites the URLs.  UseCanonicalName On makes it aware that it has to use
the Port setting to rewrite the URL with.
Then, in the virtualhost section, it looks like this:
---
NameVirtualHost *:81
<VirtualHost *:81>
Port 80
.
.
.
</VirtualHost>
---
That will allow the VirtualHost to work the same way.
And that's all there is to it!
I hope this helps someone!
:)
	Dave