[squid-users] best practices for squid

From: Marco Barbero <thebet@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 21:11:41 +0100

Hi all.
After read some documentation (books, faq, this mailing list and other
resource), about best practices to deploy a squid proxy server, I'm a bit
confused because I noticed there are some contrasting opinions regarding
some topics. Let me sum:

cache_dir:
----------
- SquidBook says about 20MB for every user accessing the proxy
- A lot of people suggest to monitor total traffic for a week and use this
value for cache_dir
- the book "How To Accelerate Your Internet" (bwmo.net) says that size
higher than 18GB are not a good choice
- cache_dir placed on a dedicated disk must be 20% smaller than total size
(squid.conf). Some people suggests 30-50% smaller....What about?
   And then...are these suggestions valid for dedicated partition too?
(cache_dir on a dedicated partition but on the same disk with other system
partitions)

- L1 value:
  cache_dir/416 (old post from Henrik)
  cache_dir/500 (other post read here)
  cache_dir/256 * 0.6 (a more recent post from Henrik)
  Opinions?

-L2 value: 256
Duan Wessel suggest to try 32/512 with great cache_dir sizes.
??

ufs/aufs
-----------
-ufs with less than 5req/sec (Duan Wessel)
-aufs for >30req/sec (Henrik)
??

cache_mem
- Squidbook says: never greater that 1/4 physical RAM.
- Henkrik says 16 MB is quite suitable for most installations (no more than
32MB)
- Duan Wessel says to set it low than increase if there is RAM unused.
??

What do you think about?
Thanks