Re: [squid-users] High CPU usage problem on Squid 2.6 STABLE9

From: Michel Santos <michel@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 19:04:31 -0200 (BRST)

Robert disse na ultima mensagem:

> My connection speed is 45 Mbit max, but real traffic is about 30-35 Mbit
> including P2P.

hey, now it is an interesting matter, so you may have 10-15Mb/s as http
traffic here, may be some more sometimes

doyou do NAt on this box? Or any fwd rules? or is it a standalone proxy
server?

I can tell you from my experience that for 10-15MB http traffic it needs
some heaver stuff than your machine. On a dual dual-core opteron I have
8Mbit/s http and my overall CPU state is at 60% but I have to say on the
same machine, it is a router, throughgoing traffic, runs bw control and
firewall and squid as transparent. Squid is never running more than 15-20%
but I use only SCSI disks. Also my cache_dirs are min 250Gb

I have another with 14Mbit/s http almost same hardware but I needed to
take bw control out because cpu was at 90% always. I believe that for this
kind of traffic your SATAs are not good enough or your OS (with SMP) does
not handle the poll thing well or some other kind of deficiency.

Also you probably need at least 6-8Gb of RAM or more. You may like to
track your diskio via snmp to see that better. Also this kind of traffic
you should pay extreme attention to your NICs and driver for them. Often a
cheap NIC and bad driver eats all your interrupt time and the machine is a
blocker at the end. For sure the standard sysctl values, especially for
network, are not satisfying your needs.

And, no offense please, but serious traffic may need a more serious OS, I
mean kind of proven Linux or BSD which is known for beeing capable of this
kind of traffic load. May be you ask if somebody can suggest a Linux
distro which is good for that so you do not need to fiddle around here.

But if you don't switch to SCSI I believe you do not get lucky with any.
Dont forget most of disk io for IDE/Sata is done by the CPU, so may be
your machine get stucked here, the CPU tries and runs to death since the
disk can not handle it.

but only thoughts, because I have no idea with your OS, so please do not
get angry with me.

Michel

Datacenter Matik http://datacenter.matik.com.br
E-Mail e Data Hosting Service para Profissionais.