Re: [squid-users] High CPU usage problem on Squid 2.6 STABLE9

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 07:32:09 +0800

On Tue, Jan 30, 2007, Michel Santos wrote:

> But if you don't switch to SCSI I believe you do not get lucky with any.
> Dont forget most of disk io for IDE/Sata is done by the CPU, so may be
> your machine get stucked here, the CPU tries and runs to death since the
> disk can not handle it.

Thats not strictly true with 'good' IDE chipsets these days. You should see
how Squid benchmarks with COSS on an Intel ICH7 SATA motherboard. Holy
smokes..

Ok, lets see. V65x. routing 40-ish megabits of traffic with 20ish megabits
of Squid? It shouldn't be that bad, not by a long shot. You've got a good
CPU, decently fast FSB. Which chipset does that box use? Can you paste an
"lspci -v" output here?

That high IOWAIT time does suggest your Squid is doing a little too much
synchronous IO. Try disabling the access and cache logs:

cache_access_log none
cache_store_log none

Adrian