Re: [squid-users] IE asks to download site when access Squid through HTTP 1.0

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 23:42:02 +0100

tor 2007-01-25 klockan 11:39 -0200 skrev Mateus César Gröess:

> Today I accessed http://www.guiadobebe.com.br using Firefox at
> work without problems. Our network access web pages through Squid
> 2.6-STABLE9. Then I send the URL to a pregnant coworker girl and she
> asked if it is a document file. Then I tested access with Internet
> Explorer (6 and 7) and the browser asked to download or open a file
> every time I tried to access that web page. Now I can access the page,
> after setting IE to use HTTP 1.1 through proxy, need for the first
> time.

MSIE is quite brain damaged if that option is not selected, and will
fail on many web sites using gzip compression without advertising it
properly. Technically those web sites is broken and not compliant with
the HTTP specs however.

But the site you quote looks like it behaves fine to me.. at least now.

> Is there another workaround I can use in Squid configuration?

You can use

header_access Accept-Encoding deny all

which disables gzip support for all users.

> There are many computers of customers using the same proxy and I will
> have a big problem if they want to access the same URL or other
> websites with the same problem.

You should not see this problem a lot..

> If I set the option "HTTP 1.1 through
> proxy" in IE permanently, will it cause other problems? Is this a
> problem with Squid or with the website?

No known ill effect of enaling that option.