[squid-users] Squid not resolving some url's

From: Chris Nighswonger <cnighswonger@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 13:25:28 -0500

Hi all,
  I have been working on this problem now for a day or so. I'm running
2.6.STABLE5. Towards the end of last week various pages begin to be
slow resolving and often required several F5's to finally load. The
problem changed over the weekend to pages not resolving at all but
being redirected to the search provided by the external dns servers we
use (opendns). Bypassing squid and connecting directly to the
Internet, using the same dns servers clears the problem up. Dig shows
that the zone files in the dns servers are correct for the urls having
problems. This would seem to eliminate the dns servers as the issue. I
think.
  The cache.log shows no unusual entries. Access.log shows the url's
being requested.
  The only thing that appears different as far as I can see is the
rcode section of the Internal DNS page of cachemanager. Here it is:

Internal DNS Statistics:

The Queue:
                       DELAY SINCE
  ID SIZE SENDS FIRST SEND LAST SEND
------ ---- ----- ---------- ---------

Nameservers:
IP ADDRESS # QUERIES # REPLIES
--------------- --------- ---------
208.67.222.222 62 62
208.67.220.220 0 0
192.168.0.2 0 0

Rcode Matrix:
RCODE ATTEMPT1 ATTEMPT2 ATTEMPT3
    0 107751 79 35
    1 0 0 0
    2 2369 2268 2224
    3 988 21 7
    4 0 0 0
    5 0 0 0

Before this issue came up, I never remember seeing anything beyond the
0 row. I was not able to figure out what this matrix is telling me or
if it is relevant to the problem I am experiencing.

Any help is greatly appriciated.

Chris