[squid-users] A Different Squid Load Issue?

From: Chris Nighswonger <cnighswonger@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 11:30:02 -0500

Hi all,
  I have a issue where when the client browser requests a page, it
(the client) appears to hang and just wait without loading the page.
After several 'refresh' attempts, the page will load. At other times
the client behaves as if the page has loaded, but displays nothing
(blank screen).
  Over the past two days I have watched the squid process via 'top'
and notice that when this phenomena occurs the squid process grabs
%100 of the cpu resources and the 'top' screen freezes until squid
backs off. Most of the time squid uses far less than %30 of the cpu.
  I have followed several of the threads about squid under high load
and these do not seem to apply here.
  Additional info that may help:

Squid Version 2.6.STABLE5
Hardware: Dual PII 400MHz, 192MB ram, 40GB LVM (2 odd sized SCSI drives)
OS: Fedora 6
The system also runs DansGuardian, a firewall, and a caching-only Bind9 DNS
There are only 40-50 users avg connected simultaneously. Some use VOIP
applications (ie. Skype, etc.)

Some pertinent lines from squid.conf

store_avg_object_size 14 KB #Based on cachmgr.cgi avg
cache_dir ufs /var/spool/squid 20480 65 256

 Does anything here stand out as a potential issue?

Thanks
Chris

--
Chris Nighswonger