Re: [squid-users] Squid Accelertor Problem with Cache_Peer's

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 01:47:34 +0100

mån 2007-03-05 klockan 12:32 -0500 skrev Shane A. Froebel:

> We at the battlestarwiki.org are using Squid in accelerator mode at the
> moment to serve as the primary point for all web-connections. However,
> everytime we have like a horde of users access the site, the server
> itself goes slow. So I tried settings up a secondary cache server on our
> SQL server (which only has SQL and no httpd). Now I read everything I
> can and I can still not get everything to work correctly.

I don't quite get how you want the relations between the two.. should
users connect to one or both?

From your configs it looks like users always connect to the Squid on the
same server as the web server. Under these conditions it won't generally
help to have this Squid bounce the requests to yet another Squid.

What you can do to improve performance is to have another server also
accept requests from the users, and forward them to the web server.

But most importantly you need to diagnose why things gets slow. So I'll
follow up with a bit of questions focusing on your first server for now:

* Is there any swap activity under load?
* How is the Squid cache configured?
* What is the primary load condition? CPU? I/O? Memory?