Re: [squid-users] reverse proxy for squid2.5.10

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 02:24:11 +0100

mån 2007-03-05 klockan 11:16 +0800 skrev Peña, Botp:
> Hi,
>
> we're using squid2.5.10 (basically because we're using debian apt package).

I strongly recommend you to update.. the configuratioon in 2.6 is much
better.

> we'd like to do reverse proxy and we'd like to ask if possible the ff:
>
> 1 reverse proxy multiple backend webservers
> 2 reverse proxy with url mapping, like
> /foo/ -> http://backend/foo
> /bar/ -> http://backend2/bar
> /foobar/ -> http://backend3/foo/bar

Note: Rewriting URLs is generally a bad idea. Web servers quite often
generate what they think is the correct URL in various contexts..
(redirects, generated links, etc). So it's better to just map the URLs
to servers, not rewrite them..

> i cannot find squid docs detailing this. maybe i'm too dumb :)
> tips, pls.

http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/ReverseProxy

Whats missing is how to map URLs to servers. This is done by
cache_peer_access (or _domain depending on what kind of mapping is done,
and taste). I'll add an example of that as well..