RE: [squid-users] reverse proxy for squid2.5.10

From: Peña, Botp <botp@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 11:08:22 +0800

From: Henrik Nordstrom [mailto:henrik@henriknordstrom.net] :
# I strongly recommend you to update.. the configuratioon in 2.6 is much
# better.

indeed.

# > we'd like to do reverse proxy and we'd like to ask if
# possible the ff:
# >
# > 1 reverse proxy multiple backend webservers
# > 2 reverse proxy with url mapping, like
# > /foo/ -> http://backend/foo
# > /bar/ -> http://backend2/bar
# > /foobar/ -> http://backend3/foo/bar
#
# Note: Rewriting URLs is generally a bad idea. Web servers quite often
# generate what they think is the correct URL in various contexts..
# (redirects, generated links, etc). So it's better to just map the URLs
# to servers, not rewrite them..

yes

# > i cannot find squid docs detailing this. maybe i'm too dumb :)
# > tips, pls.
#
# http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/ReverseProxy
#
# Whats missing is how to map URLs to servers. This is done by
# cache_peer_access (or _domain depending on what kind of
# mapping is done,
# and taste). I'll add an example of that as well..

yes. it's a 2.6 doc too. thanks much.

fwiw, i recently switched to apache1.3 for reverse (forward still using squid). I find the combi very clean, no conflicts, and the squid + apache reverse proxy combined w apache's virtual hosts very flexible.

imho, if squid is to be a very flexible and powerful reverse proxy, i'd suggest that it be a separate program/daemon or maybe a separate squid-reverse.conf perhaps.

kind regards -botp

# Regards
# Henrik