Re: [squid-users] Another HTTP 1.1 Question

From: <dhottinger@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 15:16:25 -0500

Quoting Chris Nighswonger <cnighswonger@foundations.edu>:

> On 3/8/07, Adrian Chadd <adrian@creative.net.au> wrote:
>> You can try the Squid-2 snapshots which include the below patch.
>> http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v2/HEAD/
>
> Here is what I have done:
>
> 1. My current install is via yum (rpm).
>
> 2. I have configured with the same options returned from a '#squid -v'
> and done a 'make'
>
> 3. I have backup my current squid.conf
>
> Here is the question:
>
> Do I do a 'make install,' then replace the new 'squid.conf' with my
> original, and start squid back up? (This is a production box and I
> really don't want to bust it.)
>
> Thanks,
> Chris

If it was me I would do a cp on my current squid directory, then when
installing do a ./configure --someother directory. For example: if
squid is installed in /var/squid you could install the new version in
/usr/local/squid. Doing a ./configure --help will give you the exact
options. Then after installing you can either edit the new squid.conf
to suit, stop your old squid and start new squid with a ./squid -z to
build the cache directorys and then do a ./squid. If everything goes
south, then you can go back to your old version and figure out why the
new one didnt work.

ddh

--
Dwayne Hottinger