Re: [squid-users] Another HTTP 1.1 Question

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 07:46:24 +0800

On Thu, Mar 08, 2007, dhottinger@harrisonburg.k12.va.us wrote:

> If it was me I would do a cp on my current squid directory, then when
> installing do a ./configure --someother directory. For example: if
> squid is installed in /var/squid you could install the new version in
> /usr/local/squid. Doing a ./configure --help will give you the exact
> options. Then after installing you can either edit the new squid.conf
> to suit, stop your old squid and start new squid with a ./squid -z to
> build the cache directorys and then do a ./squid. If everything goes
> south, then you can go back to your old version and figure out why the
> new one didnt work.

I normally do this:

./configure --prefix="/usr/local/squid-VERSION"
make
make install
cd /usr/local
rm squid (its a symlink!)
ln -s squid-VERSION squid
cp /path/to/normal/squid.conf /usr/local/squid-VERSION/etc/squid.conf

That way I can have multiple squids installed to try but have my init
script only start /usr/local/squid/sbin/squid .

Adrian