Re: [squid-users] spyware and porn rejections not working in 2.6

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 17:03:24 -0800

Dave wrote:
> Hello,
> I've updated from squid 2.5 to 2.6 on a FreeBSD box using ports.
> I'm using squid as a transparent proxy and this is working fine. My
> problem is my spam, spyware and pornography rejections are no longer
> working and i copied those files and config lines directly from a
> previously working 2.5 setup. Here are the relevant lines of my
> squid.conf file:
>
> acl our_networks src xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/24
> acl chat dstdomain "/usr/local/etc/squid/chat.txt"
> acl porn url_regex "/usr/local/etc/squid/porn"
> acl spyware dstdomain "/usr/local/etc/squid/spyware.acl"
> http_access allow our_networks
> http_access deny chat porn spyware
>
> Since in my previous config i had this line:
>
> http_access allow our_networks !chat !porn !spyware

Why did you change this line with the new Squid version? In any case,
you might want to have a look at the FAQ section on common ACL mistakes
(http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/SquidAcl#head-57610c67cac987182f6055118dd6d29e1ccd4445).

> I added ! to those acls on the httpd_access deny line above and that
> did not work either. My files have lines similar to this:
>
> chat.txt
> #chat.yahoo.com
>
> spyware
> .180solutions.com
> .cometsystems.com
>
> porn
> stardoll.com
> myspace.com
>
> I'm wondering if there's a more flexible way of having squid block
> this junk, i've tried squidguard as a redirector but I wasn't happy
> with the performance i was getting, it seemed to slow things down very
> noticeably. Suggestions welcome.

Dans Guardian seems to be a popular choice, judging by people on the
mailing list.

> Thanks.
> Dave.

Chris