[squid-users] optimizing squid and FreeBSD

From: Dave <dmehler26@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 14:50:12 -0400

Hello,
    Running squid on a 6.x box. I'm going to implement digest user
authentication, and want to ensure squid is running optimally. Googling and
reading "Squid the Definitive Guide" by Oreilly indicates that the file
descriptors should be raised. I did a

sysctl -a|grep maxfiles

and found a value of 1440. It was suggested to increase this to 8192, which
i did. I then found entries in /etc/login.conf that make me wonder if this
change was necessary. All of these are set to unlimited in the default
option: datasize, stacksize, memoryuse, filesize and openfiles (one of these
the descriptors), maxproc, and Given this do i have to add an
options maxfiles=8192
in my kernel config file? I've also read the wiki in particular the section
on diskd, i'm using the ufs storage scheme, would it help if i implemented
diskd? Any other suggestions welcome.
Thanks.
Dave.