Re: [squid-users] optimizing squid and FreeBSD

From: Michael W. Lucas <mwlucas@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 19:28:32 -0400

On Sat, Mar 17, 2007 at 02:50:12PM -0400, Dave wrote:
> Hello,
> Running squid on a 6.x box. I'm going to implement digest user
> authentication, and want to ensure squid is running optimally. Googling and
> reading "Squid the Definitive Guide" by Oreilly indicates that the file
> descriptors should be raised. I did a
>
> sysctl -a|grep maxfiles
>
> and found a value of 1440. It was suggested to increase this to 8192, which
> i did. I then found entries in /etc/login.conf that make me wonder if this
> change was necessary. All of these are set to unlimited in the default
> option: datasize, stacksize, memoryuse, filesize and openfiles (one of these
> the descriptors), maxproc, and Given this do i have to add an
> options maxfiles=8192

Hi,

You don't need to edit your kernel config file, you can set this in
/boot/loader.conf.

The "unlimited" in login.conf doesn't really mean "infinite"; it means
"all that the kernel can provide." Your kernel is limited to 1440
without a change.

--
Michael W. Lucas	mwlucas@FreeBSD.org, mwlucas@BlackHelicopters.org
	    Latest book: PGP & GPG -- http://www.pgpandgpg.com