Re: [squid-users] Squid and Mirrored Router Ports

From: Edward C. Jakosalem <list@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 21:52:46 +1000 (EST)

> tis 2007-04-17 klockan 20:55 +1000 skrev Edward C. Jakosalem:
>
>> I have posted this same problem before but I want to post it again
>> because
>> I am pressured to make this work with Squid. I know that Squid's use is
>> either an accelerator or proxy or both. But we want Squid to _only_
>> capture web traffic and log them, that's all. As such, I have configured
>> my server to act as transparent proxy.
>
> I don't quite get what you are trying to do here.. Do you want Squid to
> act as a transparent proxy by intercepting port 80 traffic and have it
> redirected to Squid, or do you just want to audit the port 80 traffic
> without actually touching the packets by just listening on a switch
> mirror/monitor port?

I actully just need squid to act as transparent proxy so I can log
traffic. I don't care how squid will do this, I just need the logs. And
the reason why we use the mirrored port is that we don't want browsing
affected in case this server goes down.

> The first can be done by Squid, and any of the interception methods will
> work. WCCP, Policy routing etc..
>
> The second is not a job for Squid. You need a packet analyzer/auditor
> for this. There is quite many different ones depending on what you are
> looking for..

We specifically need the Squid log format that's why we want to make this
work with squid. My boss doesn't want it any other way. :-(

Thanks Henrik.