Re: [squid-users] Multiple squid servers + ldap authentication + wccp or "Super Proxy Script"

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 20:12:38 +0800

On Wed, Apr 18, 2007, chowalit.lab Chowalit Lab Linux wrote:
> Hi Adrian,
> Thanks for your help. FYI
> > * Use proxy autodetection (WPAD)
> It's the same as "Super Proxy Script" that I claim in first.
>
> As I know (Sorry if I have some miss-understanding), It's the same
> result if I implement either wccp or WPAD. There are difference in
> client setting up. Client don't need to set anything on browser but
> WPAD need.

No. WCCP doesn't tell the web browser to use a proxy - it redirects traffic to servers
which then transparently intercept the requests. Authentication to the proxy is broken
here.

WPAD is a method (well, two) where the proxy server is "discovered" by the web browser.
Authentication works with this.

adrian