Re: [squid-users] Problem with large blacklist

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 11:30:54 -0800

Paul clayton wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-04-18 at 12:25 +0100, Mark Barlow wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> Can anyone help with my problem.
>> I am using the squidguard blacklists with my squid server. However when I
>> try to use the porn blacklists which have in excess of 600,000 entries the
>> proxy keels over. I am using a dstdom_regex –i ACL to use the list, but
>> when I try to add it in squid crashes. I have 3GB of physical memory in the
>> box yet it still doesn’t seem to cope.
>>
>> The list is a domain list only without host name, so as I understand it I
>> can’t use a dstdomain ACL.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Mark.
>>

> Hi Mark,
>
> Install SquidGuard. That will solve your problems and improve your Squid
> performance.
>
> regards

To be clear, I don't disagree with this advice. That's a serious list
of sites, formulated to work with SquidGuard. I don't use SquidGuard
myself and therefore can give no testimony as to its effectiveness.

In answering your question, leading a domain name in a dstdomain acl
with a period acts as a wild card (i.e. "acl google dstdomain
.google.com" will match google.com, www.google.com, maps.google.com,
froogle.google.com, etc.). Without the leading period, it's an exact
match. "acl google.com dstdomain google.com" will only match google.com
and not www.google.com or any derivation thereof.

Chris