Re: [squid-users] reverse proxy url visible problem

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 10:01:20 +0200

tis 2007-04-24 klockan 01:19 -0400 skrev Tony Clark:
> I have a back end web server running jboss on Windows.
>
> I am running squid in a reverse proxy configuration. Everything works,
> except when squid redirects to the web server, the browser shows the URL
> of the back end web server.

Simple solution: Make sure your don't rewrite URLs on the way to the
backend and make sure the backend is aware of the official web site
name. Don't use url_rewrite_program (aka redirect_program), and make
sure http_port specifies your real site name in defaultsite.

> It works fine at one site and not at the other.

It's quite dependent on how the backend web server behaves. It need to
know it's official name to work best. Some servers (i.e. IIS) do this
automatically, others (i.e. Apache) need to have each web site name
explicitly configured.

An alternative solution if fixing the backend to know it's real name
does not work then you can look into using location_rewrite_program to
fix up server generated redirects before they reach the browser. But
only look into this as a last resort.